Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Existential Angst[_2_] Existential Angst[_2_] is offline

Default [Way OT] Web Store Software

"Winston" wrote in message
Cydrome Leader wrote:
wrote:
One of my pals put together a web store using Google's
'checkout store gadget':
http://groups.google.com/group/check...t/topics?gvc=2

The store is fairly user-unfriendly because:
* Product images take much too long to update
* The code does not support 'global search' across multiple
categories.
* The code does not use screen space well.

How does she create a store that has the functionality and
user-friendliness of the 'gold standard' mcmaster.com
quickly, economically and with high quality without
a steep 'learning curve'.

Thanks!

--Winston

you're not going to like this answer, but all she needs to do is hire
some
really skilled developers.

good luck finding them and then paying for them though.

You get what you pay for.

That is not a surprising answer.

I'm anxious to learn about the
surprising, delightful answers as well.

I would imagine that sites such as McM, MSC, Graingers, etc, are VERY
expensive propositions, no?
Unless the database itself is basically simple, and it's the SIZE that is
misleadingly impressive.....

I'm curious about your general Q as well, as I'm sort of in your friend's
position, and am hoping GoDaddy will have cheap-but-respectable turnkey
solutions, as well as places like SiteBuilder, and a cupla others.

I'm hoping this dazzling technology becomes commodity-ish, like, well, chips
themselves.
--
EA

Thanks!