Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Going Green(er)

On 6/9/2011 8:42 AM, Doug Winterburn wrote:
On 06/09/2011 04:36 AM, Leon wrote:
On 6/8/2011 9:35 PM, Doug Winterburn wrote:
Putting in a 6.44kw solar electric system through solarcity.com on a 20
year lease. I'll let you know next year if it's all that's advertised -
although to this point, they seem abnormally professional.

Details to follow after install and turn-on and a years experience.

PS: I probably don't have 20 years, but who cares...

Lets hope you enjoy seeing the limit of the lease come and go.

I am curious. Does that company maintain the equipment through out the
lease, are you liable for repairs as they are needed? Does the lease
guarantee a minimum level of performance?

Yes, if you lease rather than purchase, they maintain. I didn't see any
reason to even think about purchase because of that.

And yes, they guarantee a minimum level of performance. They examine
your last years usage and size the system to at least reduce your cost.
If not, they will reimburse the difference at year end by 10 cents/kw.
You can opt to increase the capacity beyond this for a larger lease.

Also, you can buy down the lease. The first option is zero down and a
3.5% annual increase in the lease payment. I chose to put down a couple
of grand to eliminate the annual increase and to buy a whole house
energy checkup ($99 but normally $400 through APS). You can go all the
way and buy down the entire lease so you have zero monthly and they
still maintain for 20 years. In my case, that would have been just shy
of $10,000 - which I think was a bargain compared to about $17,000 for
purchase.

They also provide any necessary repairs and insure the installation
including any possible roof problems. The lease also include removal of
the equipment and restoration of the roof after 20 years.

They also install a special meter that will run backwards if you produce
more than you use. Any excess is "banked" in the grid and credited to
your account.

They monitor to make sure things are OK, so a high speed internet
connection is required. I can also monitor the system from anywhere.

And finally, they will host a "Solar Party" at you residence for friends
and neighbors. If any sign up, you get $400 for each. If this works out,
it'll be party time next year.

I haven't been of a peak/off-peak plan, but will definitely go on the
noon to 7pm on peak program and watch my usage. This particular design
should cover my on peak usage. Current rates here in AZ are about $0.06
off peak and $0.24 on peak through APS.

Honest, I don't work for them :-)

Check their site - I haven't found any negative reviews, but a lot of
positive ones.

Thank you for the run down Doug. Sounds like an interesting investment.