Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Do these exist: "Instant on" or very rapid start CFL???

On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 16:32:51 -0700 (PDT), N8N
wrote:

On Jun 8, 10:37*am, Roy wrote:
On Jun 7, 1:54*am, mm wrote:

On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 00:22:41 -0700, mike wrote:
Smarty wrote:
Is there such a thing as a true "instant start" CFL which produces full
intensity brightness as soon as it is turned on? I am trying to find an
indoor bulb which will not require any warm up period to attain full
brightness.

I know that claims are made, but wonder if they are exaggerated or true.
General Electric, for example, actually labels their bulbs as "instant
on" but they are not 'instant'.

I also realize that colder temperatures prolong the ionization / warm up
period, but my application is for indoor use at normal 70 degree F
temperature.

Thanks for any advice.

Would be interesting to know your application that requires such a lamp.
LIfe has lots of other things to be annoyed with. *Why pick this one?

FWIW, I've seen significant differences in startup time for the SAME brand
of lamp from different batches. *I'd guess the OEM's just buy from
the current low-price leader.
When I buy CFLs, I take along a socket and plug them into the
outlet by the back door at home depot.

Very good idea but what do ou do when they are in a clam shell, the
bubbble pack that is welded shut?

I *have* seen up to 8 CFLs in a clam shell. I don't think I've seen
any but maybe expensive ones in anything easy to open.

==
Probably rips it off with his teeth. If I worked in a store where
customers wanted to "try out" light bulbs before buying them I would
call security and have them escorted out. Never heard of such an idiot
thing before.
==

Seeing the number of CFL's I've returned over the years - mostly
"dimmable" ones that weren't but also within the last week a 3-way one
whose second setting was noticeably dimmer and of a drastically higher
color temp than the first - I'm thinking that trying before you buy is
not a bad idea.

I know a lot of those carbon filament bulbs I bought from Mr. Edison
didn't work as well as he said they would. Every time I went to
complain, they told me he was "napping". We all know what that means.

Haven't done it yet, but may start. For now, I'm
sticking with Sylvania and GE only until I find another brand that I
find works reliably. Sadly, as with many consumer goods, the vast
majority of CFLs on the market save for the very very plain single
wattage spirals seem to be unmitigated garbage.

Let me guess, you are a CSR for Home Despot?

nate