Posted to uk.d-i-y
geraldthehamster[_2_] geraldthehamster[_2_] is offline

Default insulation but no easy access

On Jun 9, 11:15*am, stuart noble wrote:
On 09/06/2011 10:05, geraldthehamster wrote:

On Jun 8, 12:18 pm, stuart *wrote:
It's about time I upgraded the insulation in the back extension of my
Victorian terraced house, an area 16'x10'. No access from the loft at
the front for a normal sized human, and installing a loft hatch in the
back bedroom would give me barely 3' height down one edge. No idea how
the original 4" of fibreglass was installed unless child labour was
employed.

I'm thinking of maybe pushing an 8x1 chipboard sheet across the joists
via the limited loft access and hoping that a second sheet would shunt
the first one to the back. It should then be relatively easy to slide
celotex over the chipboard surface. A bit of a dog's dinner but it's the
only way I can see it getting done. Blown vermiculite would have been a
solution but it seems nobody uses that any more.

Anyone got any bright ideas?

I'm not clear why there wouldn't be enough room in the loft of a 16x10
back extension to work in. How low is your roof pitch? I lived in a
terraced house with a back extension slightly smaller than this, and
when I lost storage space by converting the main loft, I put a hatch
in the rear extension and had no problem kneeling about up there
fitting small loft boards.

Possibly I've misunderstood something in your post.

Cheers
Richard

The hatch would only be used to install the insulation, so I guess I'm
reluctant to go to that trouble if there's another way. It's about 3
feet high, tapering down to zero, so a central hatch would at least
allow me to do some of it from below.
Seems the logical way would be to blow mineral wool via the opening into
the main loft, but how practical that would be I'm not sure. Someone
should presumably check the eaves air flow, so we'd be back to square one..
I might do a trial run and see just how difficult it is to snake myself
through the triangular opening from the main loft. I've got plenty of
melamine chip to slide about on once I'm in there.- Hide quoted text -

Make sure there's enough room to turn round and come out again ;-)

I'd be tempted to screw insulated plasterboard under the existing
ceiling, and have it reskimmed. If it's an old house with decent
ceiling heights, you could probably afford to lose a few inches off
the height of a back bedroom.

Cheers
Richard