Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tabby Tabby is offline

Default insulation but no easy access

On Jun 8, 8:34*pm, stuart noble wrote:
On 08/06/2011 19:45, Tabby wrote:

On Jun 8, 6:26 pm, stuart *wrote:
On 08/06/2011 15:53, Tabby wrote:

On Jun 8, 12:18 pm, stuart * *wrote:
It's about time I upgraded the insulation in the back extension of my
Victorian terraced house, an area 16'x10'. No access from the loft at
the front for a normal sized human, and installing a loft hatch in the
back bedroom would give me barely 3' height down one edge. No idea how
the original 4" of fibreglass was installed unless child labour was
employed.

I'm thinking of maybe pushing an 8x1 chipboard sheet across the joists
via the limited loft access and hoping that a second sheet would shunt
the first one to the back. It should then be relatively easy to slide
celotex over the chipboard surface. A bit of a dog's dinner but it's the
only way I can see it getting done. Blown vermiculite would have been a
solution but it seems nobody uses that any more.

Anyone got any bright ideas?

Why not use blown insulation, or if you can reach to the back with a
rake-like thing, then poured. Polystyrene bead isnt bad to work with.

NT

Bit of a fire risk I would think. Blown mineral wool would be better,

fair enough. Loose fill loft insulation it is.

but there are no doubt rules about it only going into cavities. Perhaps

nope, its lawful to use it

there are other loose fill materials out there
A 16 foot "rake-like thing" going across the joists doesn't sound
promising somehow

sounds liek a good practical solution. Just some 2 by half with a
crosspiece on teh end, with the crosspiece sitting on top of the flat
handle so it doesnt catch all the time.

But the end of the handle would still catch all the time, and how much
would half an inch thickness bend over 16ft? Aly tube maybe?

If its going across joists, 16" or so, half inch doesnt bend much. If
along joists, the pusher head will sit on the joists, and I'd probably
add a 2nd pusher head at 8'. It would surely run better if the leading
edges were rounded over. If no router, just flicking it up slightly
does the job. You can do that with half inch wood better than you
could with ali tube.

I get the impression you just dont want to do the job.

You're dead right there old sport.
I was hoping one of those subsidised insulation firms would sign me up
and not notice the lack of access.

If you qualify for a govt grant, great.

NT