Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

Default Do these exist: "Instant on" or very rapid start CFL???

On Jun 7, 1:54*am, mm wrote:
On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 00:22:41 -0700, mike wrote:
Smarty wrote:
Is there such a thing as a true "instant start" CFL which produces full
intensity brightness as soon as it is turned on? I am trying to find an
indoor bulb which will not require any warm up period to attain full
brightness.

I know that claims are made, but wonder if they are exaggerated or true.
General Electric, for example, actually labels their bulbs as "instant
on" but they are not 'instant'.

I also realize that colder temperatures prolong the ionization / warm up
period, but my application is for indoor use at normal 70 degree F
temperature.

Thanks for any advice.

Would be interesting to know your application that requires such a lamp.
LIfe has lots of other things to be annoyed with. *Why pick this one?

FWIW, I've seen significant differences in startup time for the SAME brand
of lamp from different batches. *I'd guess the OEM's just buy from
the current low-price leader.
When I buy CFLs, I take along a socket and plug them into the
outlet by the back door at home depot.

Very good idea but what do ou do when they are in a clam shell, the
bubbble pack that is welded shut?

==
Probably rips it off with his teeth. If I worked in a store where
customers wanted to "try out" light bulbs before buying them I would
call security and have them escorted out. Never heard of such an idiot
thing before.
==