Posted to uk.d-i-y
Donwill[_3_] Donwill[_3_] is offline

Default insulation but no easy access

On 08/06/2011 18:46, stuart noble wrote:
On 08/06/2011 18:04, Donwill wrote:
On 08/06/2011 12:18, stuart noble wrote:
It's about time I upgraded the insulation in the back extension of my
Victorian terraced house, an area 16'x10'. No access from the loft at
the front for a normal sized human, and installing a loft hatch in the
back bedroom would give me barely 3' height down one edge. No idea how
the original 4" of fibreglass was installed unless child labour was
employed.

I'm thinking of maybe pushing an 8x1 chipboard sheet across the joists
via the limited loft access and hoping that a second sheet would shunt
the first one to the back. It should then be relatively easy to slide
celotex over the chipboard surface. A bit of a dog's dinner but it's
the only way I can see it getting done. Blown vermiculite would have
been a solution but it seems nobody uses that any more.

Anyone got any bright ideas?

What about this?
http://guide.rockwool.co.uk/products...nsulation.aspx

Ah, that's interesting. I wonder if a contractor would have a way of
lifting that hose in the video into inaccessible places, possibly some
kind of fishing rod arrangement.
Not a product I'd fancy using on a d-i-y basis, even if you could get
hold of it, which I doubt.

I've also got an awkward area to insulate in the roof space , I shall be
interested in comments, adverse or supportive.
Cheers
Don

The only snag I can see is that it will cover existing cables which
would have to be de-rated I suppose.
Don