Ed Sirett

Default vaillant Turbomax 824/828 combi boilers

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 00:54:23 +0000, andrewpreece wrote:

Not a query as such, but my old Vaillant combi, a veteran of 14 years has
failed ( with three separate faults - the pump failing was the critical
one ). Rather than repair the beast, I propose to buy new, and was wondering
if anyone has any comments on Vaillant, and its Turbomax combi boilers. My
info is that they're a good make, and mine lasted 12 years without a
service.
NB; The house is a three bed semi, one bath, one shower. I'm thinking the
824 at 24 kilowatts is sufficient......

Well your existing boiler (VCW 242 most likely) did not last that long
and might well have gone longer with occasional maintenance.
I'm have reapcled these when they are aged 17 years+ with others nearby
installed at the same time still going strong.

You are already aware of the pros and cons of combis so I'd go for a
Turbomax+ 824e or 828e (the latter is around 50-75 quid more), and
give 1/6 more flow.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk