Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water heater

On Tue, 7 Jun 2011 11:46:16 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Jun 7, 6:07Â*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 7 Jun 2011 09:13:56 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:
On Jun 5, 7:12Â*pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" atlas-
wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 14:59:31 -0500, Steve Barker

In
,
Â* bob Â*wrote:

Much of a standard tanks losses go to heat the home in winter so they
really arent losses at all.

They also heat the home in the summer (creating additional load on your AC)

Actually, the standby losses go up the flue, so neither is true for the most part.
Let me guess. Â*One of you has a gas WH and the other electric?

does that somehow change the standby losses?

Yes it does. Â*With a conventional tank gas water heater, most of the
standby losses go up the flue. Â*With an electric, there is no flue
path up the middle of the tank where heat gets lost. Â*There are also
the direct vent type which use an inducer blower like high efficiency
furnaces. Â* Those would have very little standby loss up the vent
path as well, more like electric ones.

However, the standby losses are not huge. Â* I have a conventional gas
water heater and the TOTAL cost to run it is maybe $15 a month.
That includes all the water actually used, as well as standby loss.
One of these days, if I remember, I'm going to log the gas meter
before going away for a week and get an actual number.

Also, one of the more crazy things that always pops up here
is the above claim that standby losses don't matter because
they heat the house in winter. Â* Even if all the standby losses
did exit via the tank into the surroundings there are two
major problems with that claim. Â*One has already been
pointed out, which is that if it helps in the winter, then
it's a disadvantage in the summer, at least for those of us
with AC. Â* And second is that most water heaters are not
in the living space itself. Â*Hard to believe heat escaping my
water heater in the unfinished basement is going to do much
good heating the house.

Â*It'll help a wee tiny bit keeping the floor warm - and MANY houses
today the basement is finished, heated, living space.- Hide quoted text -

I thought they were turned into themed drinking dens in America?

Mabee in Redneck USA - here in Canada it's games rooms, family rooms,
bedrooms, home theatres,home offices - etc.