Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default More Bridgeport electrical advice required

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
Okay, rewinding what I have is NOT ($$$) an option.

From my previous post:

There are 9 wires coming out of the motor, with metal number tags.

1,2 and 3 all separate, I assume went to the reverse switch, which is not
there.

4 and 7 tied together
5 and 8 tied together
6 and 9 tied together

This allowed it to run on our 460 3 phase at the shop.

It is 9 lead and was connected high voltage wye then...

Will this drop it to 230?

1 and 7 tied together, use as L1 input
2 and 8 tied together, use as L2 input
3 and 9 tied together, use as L3 input

Tie 4,5 and 6 together, insulate and tuck away.

If this will work, then I can get a 230 volt input VFD, waaay cheaper than
rewinding my motor.

Yes, and in doing so, you will be connecting the second set of wye windings
into parallel operation with the first, whereas they previously had been
connected in series with each other= low voltage wye.

Being as how I have no diagram for the motor, I looked at a LOT of
pictures & web pages, and it looks like my current wiring is pretty
standard for a 460v 3 phase motor, which matches the motor plates I looked
at, which had Hi and Low wiring diagrams, which is where I got the above
possible solution for my Low wiring.

If all 12 leads are brought out to the peckerhead then a person can connect
either as delta or wye on a whim...and there also exist various "soft start"
and "wye delta shift" scenarios that can be user-incorporated...

--but if there's only 9 leads then whether it is delta or wye depends upon
internal connection.... and without knowing how it was previously connected,
you would need to run continuity test in order to be sure--ans so here is a
diagram one can use to do that with:

http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/El...or_diagram.JPG

Note on the wye internal connection, the only place lead #1 only rings out
to is at #4, whereas with the delta, #1 rings out to both 4 and 9