Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Noisy shower valve

On Jun 7, 12:24*pm, Jimmy wrote:
Smarty wrote:
I had a 10 year old Kohler "Rite-Temp" shower valve which became much
more noisy as it aged. I eventually replaced it both because it was so
noisy and also because it no longer maintained the set-point for the
temperature I chose.

When I opened the damaged, older valve up after replacing it with a new
one, it was obvious why it was so noisy. A rubber diaphragm inside had
worn-out / ruptured, allowing the torn pieces to flap back and forth,
making the water flow very turbulent.

The new valve solved the problem.

Perhaps a valve replacement is all you need? Can your landlord be
contacted with a complaint?

Thanks. That's the kind of thing I suspect might be the problem. *(By
the way, if it's the same as my apartment, it's an American Standard
single-handle valve, about 25 years old.)

It's condos. *I'd be happy to pay for a new valve even though it's my
neighbor's pipes. *But part of the problem is his early schedule. *He
had to be several hours late to work to be there for the plumber's
first appointment of the day. *It took several months for us to
arrange that meeting.

And now that this plumber said there's nothing that can be done, I
might have trouble convincing him to have us get a second opinion.

Jimmy

"And now that this plumber said there's nothing that can be done,
I might have trouble convincing him to have us get a second opinion."

If the valve is truly as noisy as you make it sound, and this guy has
ever lived anywhere else (or even stayed overnight) where the noise of
a shower didn't wake him up, then he should realize that any plumber
that says "any shower will make that amount of noise" is probably a
lousy/lazy plumber.

The only noise I hear from the opposite side of the walls from both of
my single-valve showers is the water hitting the floor of the tub.
There is no sound of "rushing water" even with the access panels open
and the pipes exposed.