Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default Do these exist: "Instant on" or very rapid start CFL???

In , wrote:

Is there such a thing as a true "instant start" CFL which produces full
intensity brightness as soon as it is turned on? I am trying to find an
indoor bulb which will not require any warm up period to attain full
brightness.

I know that claims are made, but wonder if they are exaggerated or true.
General Electric, for example, actually labels their bulbs as "instant
on" but they are not 'instant'.

I also realize that colder temperatures prolong the ionization / warm up
period, but my application is for indoor use at normal 70 degree F
temperature.

Thanks for any advice.

I've read the rest of the thread and notice the hybrid GE bulb recommended to
you. I'm just guessing that it's going to be pretty expensive so, why do you
need such a quick "warm up"? FWIW I recently bought some 40 watt equivalent LEDs
at Lowe's that accomplish everything you want, will last longer and give a nicer
light than the CFL's I have. They were on sale for about $10 but they are
available now (and don't have any mercury in them)

Thanks Mal,

The lighting is intended for a dark hallway and staircase being used by
elderly people with limited eyesight.

The warm up time of so-called "instant" CFLs I have tried is several
minutes, leaving the areas with insufficient light until the warm-up
period elapses.

The bulbs I will be using are indeed expensive at $5.99 to $9.99 MSRP
based on wattage. Perhaps LEDs would be better, if they can put out
similar light output (approx 750 lumens), cost about the same, and last
a lot longer.

Thanks for the suggestion and I will certainly check it out. The last
time I looked, the LED bulbs were way more expensive, but it has been
quite a while since I compared prices.