Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Do these exist: "Instant on" or very rapid start CFL???

On 6/6/2011 11:17 PM, DA wrote:
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...FL-637050-.htm
DA wrote:
Smarty wrote:

Is there such a thing as a true "instant start" CFL which
produces full
intensity brightness as soon as it is turned on? I am trying to find an

indoor bulb which will not require any warm up period to attain full
brightness.

If the voltage between the electrodes is high enough (600V+), a
fluorescent lamp will turn on instantly (or too quick to perceive
brightness change, anyway). The regular ballasts don't generate such high
voltage but I remember experimenting (20+ years ago) with diode/capacitor
- based voltage boosters that were able to light a fluorescent lamp
instantly. Neither ballast nor the started were needed.

The complaint is not how fast the lamps come on.

The issue is "period to attain full brightness". It takes a short time
to vaporize all the mercury.

Continuing the tradition of useless advice from the homeownershub.

--
bud--