Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Hand grinding of drill bits

On Jun 7, 6:11*am, Karl Townsend
wrote:
On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 00:07:07 -0500, Ignoramus21994

wrote:
I just wanted to hear, from Karl or someone else. How hard was it to
learn to grind drill point freehand, on a tool grinder or a bench
grinder? ...

That said, I find touching up a drill to be a fairly easy to learn
skill. Starting from a broken off drill takes a lot better eye. Larger
drills are actually easier. Drills under 3/16 are near impossible. *I
do drills from 3/4 to 3" by hand. I did make a fixture for grinding
these but its too putsy.
Karl

I line up the bit in my hands against the motor housing before
shifting to the grinding wheel.

Try to match the angle where the two ground faces intersect with a
factory-ground bit. If the rake seems questionably low see if the bit
can cut into a block of wood.

You might be able to detect the wobble of an off-center point by
rolling the bit across the mill table.

jsw