Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt
> > is offline

Default Confessions of a computer repairman

On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 12:29:15 +0100, Adrian Brentnall
wrote:

On 07/06/2011 11:47, Ret. wrote:

ISTM that computers are now becoming so ridiculously cheap that it is
barely worth bothering with trying to get one repaired...

Ain't that the truth....

I'd been suffering from system 'lock-ups' here on this XOP / Dell box.
Had some good suggestions on here (thanks folks!) -
and enlisted the help of the local Dell subcontract 'fixit-fella'.

Have changed....
the ram (twice!)
the hard disk (cloned)
run various checks and tests
all the usual updates
anti-spyware / malware software

Til ..... eventually..... after all this time and Googling in
desperation late at night....

...I discovered an updated driver for the ATI Radeon pro 2400 video card
driver - which seems to have solved the lock-up problems (over a
fortnight running 24/7 now with no repeat of the lock-ups) - and doing
the same things that used to break it.

Based on an hourly rate, I could have bought a couple of new PCs for the
price! - but where's the satisfaction in that? g

Adrian

Yes, but the 2 new PC's that you bought for the price may also have issues
like their vga drivers need updating too.

New PC's are usually built by using a hard disc image containing all the
necessary operating system files, device drivers and trial applications.
From this point onwards the PC will enter the supply chain and it will in
all likelihood be several months before that PC gets to the end user.

When the end does get the PC there will be umpteen updates to be installed
for Operating System, device drivers, Adobe reader, flash player,
Anti-virus etc ...

You'll also need to get your personal files, email account(s) settings,
printer / scanner drivers & programs transferred / installed.
Installing a new PC and getting it how the user wants it can easily be the
best part of a days work, maybe more.