Posted to alt.home.repair
mike mike is offline

Default Do these exist: "Instant on" or very rapid start CFL???

Smarty wrote:
Is there such a thing as a true "instant start" CFL which produces full
intensity brightness as soon as it is turned on? I am trying to find an
indoor bulb which will not require any warm up period to attain full
brightness.

I know that claims are made, but wonder if they are exaggerated or true.
General Electric, for example, actually labels their bulbs as "instant
on" but they are not 'instant'.

I also realize that colder temperatures prolong the ionization / warm up
period, but my application is for indoor use at normal 70 degree F
temperature.

Thanks for any advice.

Would be interesting to know your application that requires such a lamp.
LIfe has lots of other things to be annoyed with. Why pick this one?

FWIW, I've seen significant differences in startup time for the SAME brand
of lamp from different batches. I'd guess the OEM's just buy from
the current low-price leader.
When I buy CFLs, I take along a socket and plug them into the
outlet by the back door at home depot.