Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default Do these exist: "Instant on" or very rapid start CFL???

On 6/6/2011 10:57 PM, Smarty wrote:
On 6/6/2011 10:28 PM, Reed wrote:
On 6/6/11 7:58 PM, Smarty wrote:
Is there such a thing as a true "instant start" CFL which produces
full intensity brightness as soon as it is turned on? I am trying to
find an indoor bulb which will not require any warm up period to
attain full brightness.

I know that claims are made, but wonder if they are exaggerated or
true. General Electric, for example, actually labels their bulbs as
"instant on" but they are not 'instant'.

I also realize that colder temperatures prolong the ionization / warm
up period, but my application is for indoor use at normal 70 degree F
temperature.

Thanks for any advice.

GE is supposed to be working on a hybrid CFL that would initially
turn on a halogen bulb, then switch to the CFL after it warms up. It
does not appear to be available yet.See their press release he
http://www.genewscenter.com/Press-Re...2011-2bf3.aspx

(Thanks to Wikipedia for info)

Thanks Reed !! What a SUPERB reply !!!

I did some further research based on your outstanding tip, and sure
enough, the new GE hybrid bulbs are just now showing up in the retail
stores with precisely what I am looking for.

Here is one of several other articles describing the roll-out of the
new, very clever product:

http://pressroom.geconsumerproducts....id-199673.aspx

Thank you VERY MUCH!

Actual photos: