Posted to alt.home.repair
Reed Reed is offline

Default Do these exist: "Instant on" or very rapid start CFL???

On 6/6/11 7:58 PM, Smarty wrote:
Is there such a thing as a true "instant start" CFL which produces
full intensity brightness as soon as it is turned on? I am trying to
find an indoor bulb which will not require any warm up period to
attain full brightness.

I know that claims are made, but wonder if they are exaggerated or
true. General Electric, for example, actually labels their bulbs as
"instant on" but they are not 'instant'.

I also realize that colder temperatures prolong the ionization / warm
up period, but my application is for indoor use at normal 70 degree F
temperature.

Thanks for any advice.

GE is supposed to be working on a hybrid CFL that would initially turn
on a halogen bulb, then switch to the CFL after it warms up. It does
not appear to be available yet.See their press release he
http://www.genewscenter.com/Press-Re...2011-2bf3.aspx

(Thanks to Wikipedia for info)