Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stuart Wheaton Stuart Wheaton is offline

Default What percentage of machinists are conservative?

On 6/6/2011 7:14 PM, ATP wrote:
"Stuart wrote in message
On 6/5/2011 8:28 PM, john B. wrote:
On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 12:26:58 -0700, Hawke
wrote:

On 6/4/2011 6:16 PM, john B. wrote:
On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 13:04:43 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

"john B." wrote:

I don't watch TV. Too many good books I haven't read.

My TBR List is over 100 books at the moment. I read about 25 last
month.

A tiny portion of "good books". For this group I recommend The
Federalist Papers, which might otherwise be refereed to as
Constitution 101 :-)

Why? Entertaining they are not. If you understand what the Federalist
Papers are then you know they are just an argument for adopting the
constitution by its supporters. Why don't you recommend the writings of
those who opposed it? Their arguments were also very good.

If you did read the arguments given back in those days it might show you
that the world is so different today from when they were creating the
constitution that only a small part of it is still relevant. Because
what people thought two hundred years ago is very often nothing we agree
with now. Times have changed and so has what we believe and want from
our government. Back then a post office and a navy were about all that
people wanted from a governement. It's a little different now.

Hawke

Of course the world is different and the constitution contains the
ability to modify to meet these new conditions. However, the
definitions of "what the founding fathers said" was what I was
referring to.

I agree that it is different now. Do you think you can get the average
citizen to shoulder his rifle and fall out for the militia? From
previous experience it seems likely the population of Canada would
suddenly get a great deal larger.

Previous experience shows that when America is attacked, Americans turn
out to defend her in record numbers (Though curiously, Republican war
hero Bob Dole went through every deferment and exemption he could find),
but when the interests of corporate America are attacked or when America
sticks her nose into places she might not belong (Vietnam, Iraq II), the
people do not all jump up to run for the recruiting station.

Why would you attack Bob Dole's military service record?

Does stating an uncomfortable fact cause you distress?