Swingman

Default How to make a fair curve?

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

Sounds like it. I don't think I'd run (any more) thin strips
through the planer, though. I tend to favor the bandsaw for
ripping thin strips like this because I feel a little more in
control of what's going on. Usually I can rip a nice uniform
strip.

Jeeez, you guys sound like you'd walk around the block to go next door. Any
dyed-in-the-wool wooddorker's table saw, with a decent blade, will easily
rip a 1/16th" strip off +/- 4" wide, 3/4" - 1" thick stock safely,
accurately, quickly, and with no need for further fuss or muss ... can't
ask for simpler/better than that.

If you want one part of the strip to be more "bendy" than
the rest, just plane or sand that part a tad thinner than the rest.

That works very well for compound curves.

If you're going to do much of this kind of work, you might want to glue a

block to each end
of a strip so you can "freeze" the curve just by clamping the ends down.

Excellent advice ...unless you have the three hands necessary to hold the
curve AND wield the pencil.

However, providing an extra pair of hands is one of the few things that
SWMBO's are really good for in the shop ... makes them feel like part of the
team and facilitates that warm, fuzzy, harmonious feeling which contributes
directly to loosening of the purse strings.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/13/04