Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default DIY Helpless

Nightjar "cpb"@" "cpb"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 05/06/2011 22:10, ARWadsworth wrote:
Nightjar"cpb"@" "cpb"@""insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 04/06/2011 23:57, Owain wrote:
On Jun 4, 10:29 pm, "DerbyBoy" wrote:
Now one hears women talking of how hopeless their partner is in an
endearing manner. ("He tried to fit a shelf ant it ended up
costing us £300 because he drilled through the water pipe" -
laughter all round!)

It helps them feel equal to men because they can't do those things
either. They probably can't cook, sew, knit, or plough either.

To be fair, I don't know that I could use a plough either. Cook,
sew, knit, darn and crochet, yes; plough, I've never tried.

I did see a woman making a real pig's ear of blacksmithing yesterday
though.

She nailed a horseshoe to a pigs ear?

She was trying to split the end of a piece of steel to make a toasting
fork. To do this, she heated the steel, laid it on the hardened face
of the anvil, rather than on the soft table where you should chisel
stuff, waited for someone else to hold it for her, then she picked up
a chisel, carefully laid it into the groove she had made before and
tapped the chisel a couple of time. By which time, she had lost all
the heat.
If she had put a hardy into the tool hole, she could have swung the
hot steel around, laid it onto the hardy and hit the steel down onto
it with the hammer. Much quicker, less contact with cold metal to
drawn the heat away and the energy from the hammer going directly
into the workpiece. She should have split the steel in two heats, at
most, instead of failing to in the half dozen I saw her try.

That's women for you.

--
Adam