Bob Flint

Default Can I use a tree branch for wood?

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 01:18:59 GMT, "Mark Jerde" wrote:

Bob Flint wrote:
I have a big red maple tree that has a horizontal branch that is
threatening to rip the tree in half, so this spring after the sap
runs I'm going to cut it off. It is over 1 foot in diameter at the
tree, and extends straight out for about 20 feet before bending up a
bit and going another 20 or 30 feet. I cut its twin off last year,
and just an 8 foot piece is too much weight for me to carry!

My understanding is branches are loaded with "reaction wood." They've been
growing against gravity for umpty-ump years, and there is no way you can
make straight boards out of them.

Nonetheless, I have a walnut tree in my backyard with a branch that is too
low and gets in the way of mowing etc. I'd like to cut off that branch, dry
it for a year or two and use it.

The scar on my left hand from a table saw kickback accident with oak plywood
makes me pause every time I plug one of my power tools in. Had things gone
worse I'd have a much harder time playing piano or guitar. ;-)

I got whacked by a piece of thin poplar plywood that got away from my radial arm saw while ripping,,, I saw it coming
and shielded myself with my left forearm, which got cut from elbow to wrist, and smashed my right thumb... but I only
got one cut on my chest... Hurt for a few months after that... Now I test the grabber very carefully and if it don't
grab the work, I don't cut it!! At least the corner of my thumb eventually grew back!

Since my walnut branch is reaction wood I've given up on the idea of long
boards out of it. However, I do think I could make a number of really neat
small boxes (1' or smaller) from it after it is properly dried.

I'm thinking that a maple limb can be made into smaller pieces that are
stable enough. If anyone else has better ideas I'm all ears.

-- Mark