Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing burner on 1960's American Standard Boiler..

"benick" wrote
...My old burner unit still works good but it is getting very hard to get
parts for so I need to do something before another Maine winter... Any
help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...Thanks...A new boiler
is out of the question at this time...No mon no fun...

You can get a new boiler with little or no cash outlay. You missed the
federal tax credit, but there may still be state rebates available, state 0%
financing available. I put in a System 2000 by Energy Kinetics a couple of
years ago. My fuel savings is 40% over my old boiler. At 2.85 a gallon, the
savings was more than the payment. At $3.75 a gallon, I'm way ahead for the
year, not to mention more reliable and comfortable.

My house used to use about 800 to 850 gallons a year. Now I'm using about
480.
In 2010, based on degree days, my oil boiler our have used 838 gallons, my
new on actually used 501, a savings of 337 gallons. At current fuel prices,
that is $1878 saved. Payments to the state for a 0% loan is $804. In my
pocket is $1000.

But, it is your money and spend it as you see fit. You can make the oil man
very happy.