Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default LG Model 26LX2D LCD TV, Dead

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 08:06:39 -0400, wrote:

I am servicing a LG model 26LX2D 26" LCD TV that is "dead" (won't
turn
on). The only sign of activity is a red blinking light near the remote
sensor
receiver.

I had the same problem with a similar LG. The bulging caps were
obvious.

There's also a problem when the flash ram with the firmware gets
trashed in a power glitch. See:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1225883
Post #14.

If the TV suddenly refused to turn on, with no prior symptoms, it
might be the firmware. If the TV was balky at turning on, or required
holding down the button for excessive periods or multiple times, then
it's probably bulging electrolytics in the power supply. The bulging
electrolytics are a far more common problem.

I do not have a SM for this TV yet. I don't want to risk ordering
the
PS unit unless....

You don't need to replace the entire power supply, just the bad caps:
http://www.fixya.com/support/t8741824-wont_rurn

There are vendors that sell shotgun replacement kits, but I can't seem
to find one specifically for the 26LX2D. However, this vendor can
prepare a custom kit for you:
http://lcdalternatives.auctivacommerce.com/LG-C196328.aspx?sid=19447
http://stores.ebay.com/LCDALTERNATIVES/LG-/_i.html (same as above)

If you're desperate:
http://lge.andrewselectronics.com
$130 for the power supply. Ouch.
--
Jeff Liebermann

On a lot of these LCD TVs, if you leave the cap problem for too long, with
the startup getting slower and slower as the offending caps get worse, it
can result in corrupt EEPROM data, so if the OP has only just started having
trouble with it, there's a good chance that it's just caps. If he has been
struggling to get it to come on for some weeks, then the fact that it won't
now come on at all, *might* indicate that the EEPROM has now taken a hit ...

Arfa