Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john B. john B. is offline

Default dry out oil

On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 12:54:22 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Winston wrote:
Ralph wrote:

(...)

Our church had flood water get into the elevator hyd oil. The elevator
service co. replaced the oil and put a water filter unit on it for over
60 days. It did NOT remove enough water to talk about. It was a big unit
with a motor,pump and (2 filters that cost us over $200.00 each). The
oil still looks like milk and I can drain a 1/4 cup of pure water out of
the bottom of the reservoir.

It makes one wonder if there is a way to coalesce (de-emulsify)
that oil quickly and cheaply.

There's some chatter on the net about using A.C. to cause
the water molecules to clump together and drop to the bottom
of the sump; de-emulsifying much more quickly than it does
naturally. I think some smart young engineer could make a
ton of money by supplying a continuous water trap for these
applications.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=-IcgAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&source=gbs_overview_ r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

--Winston

It has been in use for years.
http://imistorage.blob.core.windows....ow%20water.pdf
for an example.
Essential it is another type of coalescer.