Bay Area Dave

Default How to make a fair curve?

probably it didn't bend well because it was too wide. I cut it down to a
couple of inches before bringing it down to 1/16. that seems to work
fine. but you are right; if I had realized a narrower piece would
suffice, I could have shaved off a 1/16 piece from a board on the TS.

dave

Bay Area Dave wrote:

duh, sorry, I DID have an 1/8" piece of oak, but it didn't bend too
well! I see I wrote "1/4". I meant 1/8. my bad.

dave

Swingman wrote:

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
om...

I guess my "thin" strips of wood aren't thin enough! I just ran out to
the shop and tried to bend a piece of oak that is about 1/4" thick. No

go.

I ran it through the planer (stuck to a thicker piece with carpet tape)
and promptly "blew" it up on the second pass. Took another strip and
got myself a 1/16+" piece to play with.

Why use the planer? That's what a table saw is for!

RIP some 1/8th" strips of oak about 36 - 48" long ... guaranteed to
bend and
be flexible enough for a curve, to a point.

I usually have a bucket full of such strips of various lengths left over
after a batch ripping fest. They make great flexible sanding strips
for the
final part of the finishing of the curve.