Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default No overflow - no problem?

In ,
Tony Hwang typed:
Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

I have a copper sink in the bathroom and because it
doesn't have an overflow, the water drains very slowly.
It is not too much of a problem, because as the sink
begins to fill, it drains more quickly due to gravity,
but as it drains down, the rate slows down dramatically. But my kitchen
sink (as most kitchen sinks) also doesn't
have an overflow, but doesn't have the same problem. How
come? Is it because kitchen sinks have a larger drain?

Thanks!

Sam

Hi,
Today no sink has overflow(I think it is against code)
You better make sure your plumbing vent stack is in good
working order(no obstruction).

Yes they do. I just bought a Kohler and it and every one in the store had an
overflow somewhere, usually hard to see until you look close. Not sure what
you're thinkng of, but it's not an overflow for the sink.
Besides, the problem here isn't the lack or presence of a sink overflow:
Normally they just feed into the drain below the stopped level. There is
supposed to be a vent stack for it somewhere, possibly buried in a wall or
sticking out the roof or both. No, I'm not talking about air traps to stop
banging.

HTH,

Twayne`