Posted to alt.home.repair
RogerT RogerT is offline

Default No overflow - no problem?

Tony Hwang wrote:
Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

I have a copper sink in the bathroom and because it doesn't have an
overflow, the water drains very slowly. It is not too much of a
problem, because as the sink begins to fill, it drains more quickly
due to gravity, but as it drains down, the rate slows down
dramatically. But my kitchen sink (as most kitchen sinks) also doesn't
have an
overflow, but doesn't have the same problem. How come? Is it because
kitchen sinks have a larger drain?

Thanks!

Sam

Hi,

Today no sink has overflow (I think it is against code) ...

Most, but not all, bathroom sinks still come with an overflow port. At
least that's how it is here in the U.S. An easy way to check this is to
look for bathroom sinks on Home Depot and Lowes websites and look at the
"Specifications" for each sink.

I don't know of any code that prohibits overflow ports in sinks, and I can't
think of any reason why any such code would be written.