Posted to sci.electronics.repair
klem kedidelhopper klem kedidelhopper is offline

Default Germanium transistor sub

On Jun 4, 12:57*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 17:39:30 -0700 (PDT), klem kedidelhopper
wrote:

I think I've found the transistor that is intermittently failing in my
Grundig 305 transistor radio.

Ummm... could you take a 2nd look at the model number? *Grundig makes
the YB-305, but that's not germanium.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/yb305.html
Grundig also makes a 3059, but that's tubes:
http://www.oldradioworld.de/3059.htm

* *A lot of Grundig radios are almost impossible to locate schematics
for. *One radio with his (Transistor) TR-305 model number was for sale
recently on Ebay.

* *The newest 'TR' series listed in Sams is the TR-17, and date 1965.
There are no YB models listed in Sams, BTW.

* It uses four AF126 transistors in the AM/FM IF Amplifier stages. *Sams
shows the collector voltages at 0, because each collector goes to ground
through the primary of each pair of IF transformers. *A modern meter
will still show some voltage at the collector, but a VTVM used by Sams
would barely make the needle move. *The schematic shows between 4 - 6
ohms to ground from each collector.

Perhaps if you disclosed the correct model number, and possibly which
xsistor you're replacing, we can find a schematic, and determine if
your NTE substitute is appropriate?

* *He said it was AF126, which does cross to ECG/NTE 160.

A lot of good information guys. I'm sorry I didn't include it in this
new post but the radio model is "Transistor 305".It was given to me
around 1970 and it wasn't new then so I'm guessing a bit here. It is
late 60's vintage I think. And I do have a schematic and foil side
board layout too.I did buy two of these 160's. (I wasn't going to open
the second if I didn't have to as they were 5.50 apiece) but maybe
this one is bad. I didn't think I'd have to touch the alignment either
Michael. Just figured that it would work even somewhat.Lenny.