Posted to sci.electronics.repair
spamtrap1888 spamtrap1888 is offline

Default Germanium transistor sub

On Jun 4, 6:07*am, klem kedidelhopper
wrote:
On Jun 4, 5:59*am, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

isw wrote:

From the subject, you say the original transistor is a Ge device.

There's a very good chance that the "replacement" is actually a Si one.

* *There is a 100% chance that you're wrong:

http://www.nteinc.com/specs/100to199/pdf/nte160.pdf

* *This link was also posted in the original thread: AM/FM radio
troubleshooting

Yes I am aware of the reversal of emitter and base leads between the
two types. I was very careful with that. I triple checked the
connections each time I removed the 160 and then re installed it.

I'm having a hard time picturing how one would swap B and C. Is the
substitute mounted high above the board?

To see if the AF160 is good or not, and to make sure the NTE is a
match: could you call a community college or tech hs to see if they
had a curve tracer you could use? Then you could compare to those spec
sheets you downloaded.