Bay Area Dave

Default How to make a fair curve?

I looked at the link. the price definitely choked me up!

here is a quote from lee valley's page: "These are the traditional rasps
of last-makers"

What is a "last-maker"??

The have some cheaper items on page 215; Microplanes. Ever use those?

dave

Swingman wrote:

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message

your advice on making a template. I don't have a pattern maker's rasp,
so I'll look that up to see if I've got anything similar.

Very difficult to find tool these days ... and be prepared for sticker
shock:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...rency=2&S ID=

Despite the price, it is a much used tool in my shop for curved/rounded
parts.

For something this long I take it that it wouldn't be a good idea to use
my new handy dandy OSS to smooth out such a gentle curve?

I find that I need to use a rasp for roughing out, then the OSS, then
sandpaper on a thin strip of wood that can flex enough to really smooth the
curve without the 'bumps' you tend to get with the OSS.

Just my experience ...