Swingman

Default How to make a fair curve?

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
om...
I guess my "thin" strips of wood aren't thin enough! I just ran out to
the shop and tried to bend a piece of oak that is about 1/4" thick. No

go.

I ran it through the planer (stuck to a thicker piece with carpet tape)
and promptly "blew" it up on the second pass. Took another strip and
got myself a 1/16+" piece to play with.

Why use the planer? That's what a table saw is for!

RIP some 1/8th" strips of oak about 36 - 48" long ... guaranteed to bend and
be flexible enough for a curve, to a point.

I usually have a bucket full of such strips of various lengths left over
after a batch ripping fest. They make great flexible sanding strips for the
final part of the finishing of the curve.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/13/04