Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David R. Birch David R. Birch is offline

Default What percentage of machinists are conservative?

On 6/4/2011 12:22 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
"David R. wrote in message
On 6/3/2011 8:20 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
"David R. wrote in message

The Libertarian Party is libertarian right. The libertarian left is
less concerned about economics and more focused on individual
rights, but also less inclined to politics.

The libertarian left and right are more unalike than the
authoritarian left and right. As far as their effects, the Dems and
Reps, as they represent the authoritarian left and right, are
becoming indistinguishable. Lots of bluster and righteous
indignation, but they end up serving the same interests.

David

"Emphasis" is all well and good, but I'm asking about which specific
policies a left libertarian would support or not. Maybe you can clear
it up with few examples. Does a left libertarian support the idea
that we should not have state-supported education, that every parent
is responsible to pay for the education of his kids, in a
private-school market? And, second, does a left libertarian support a
completely free banking market, in which anyone can set up a bank,
issue credit at will and trade in derivatives under the table, with
no government oversight of securities markets? Third, does a left
libertarian support selling food and drugs with no Pure Food and
Drug Act in place, no inspection of meat, and no certification of
pharmaceuticals?

I've noticed you usually read what you reply to, why not this time?

Those are key points of contention between the people who usually
call themselves libertarian and the rest of us.

I don't speak for those who "call themselves libertarian", just myself.

Well, you're calling *yourself* libertarian, so the question is what you
mean by that.

It sounds like your views are like those that used to be called "civil
libertarians." Maybe you guys need a new description that distinguishes you
from Libertarians. d8-)

How about "libertarian"? Or those other guys could more accurately
identify themselves as "Right Libertarians".

This is one reason I usually avoid this type of issue, the descriptions
I come up with are best summarized with just my name.

It sounds like you're saying that those are "right" libertarian
positions. Are they also left libertarian positions?

I'd be surprised if you could find two left libertarians who would agree
enough on much to be able to say there really are any positions.
Authoritarians have it so much easier since they have leaders to tell what
their positions should be.

David

You've left it unclear how "authoritarian" you would be about economic
issues. If you don't care, that's one thing. If you oppose all regulation,
then you're close to what you're calling a "right" libertarian, or a
Libertarian. If you favor some regulation, then you're closer to the center,
with a strong civil-liberties interest.

How about anarcho-syndicalist, modeled on those in "Monty Python and the
Holy Grail"? Although I tend to take the whole thing less seriously than
they do.

That makes it hard to identify what someone means when he says
"libertarian." Maybe the Libertarians will set up a sub-category for you
guys...

I'm sure they'll get right on that! :^)

David