Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Germanium transistor sub

Inasmuch as the NTE device is spec'd for this sort of application, it seems
very strange you don't get something out of it.

It IS possible you have the leads reversed. I'm sure anyone in this group
will confirm that one can make the same mistake over and over and over and
not catch it. Make sure the E and B leads aren't touching.

The next step is to confirm that the replacement transistor is actually
good, regardless of the ohmeter readings. Check the bias. Are the voltages
correct? Or is the transistor saturated or cut off?

If the bias is correct, put a 'scope and input and output, and see what's
there.

You might also build a simple amplifier using a GE Transistor Handbook
circuit, and see whether or not it works.

Barring some weird mistake on your part, I'm going to go with Sherlock and
state that, as we've eliminated all the impossible stuff, the only thing
logically remaining is that you have a bad transistor.