Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default A Fender and some lead-free problems ?

"Arfa Daily"

Other than the normal references to Fender being in California USA, I
could find no indication of where this amp had actually been built.

** Fender has its main manufacturing facility in Mexico. Staff from the US
normally supervise the work - but being sent to Mexico for a stint of
supervision work is considered tantamount to torture.

These amps are not cheap, and I would normally associate the name Fender
with a quality product.

** Not been true for a very long time - since CBS sold the business to a
group of former managers and production went south of the border.

In this case, however, I felt very disappointed for the owner. In order
for poor workmanship like this to find its way out of the factory door,
either the QA is non-existent or poorly structured, or else the QA manager
needs his arse firing out of the job ...

** You say the solder was lead free and this is the norm now with Fender
products.

IME - the flux that comes with lead free solder wire is of the " no-clean"
type or else is water soluble to allow PCB cleaning in a detergent bath
instead of nasty, expensive hydrocarbons.

It's crap at soldering anything that is not *perfectly* tarnish free.

I always use Multicore Savbit and have found nothing else works quite as
well for repair work - the flux is excellent for mildly tarnished surfaces
and the solder doe not dissolve fine copper wires like others do.

.... Phil