Posted to rec.woodworking
FairFax FairFax is offline

Default How to clean plastic-bristled brush used for applying polyurethane? (Ecofriendly process preferred ...)

On 04 Jun 2011 04:23:35 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

FairFax wrote in
:

lol Thanks! This is the very first time I'm going to do this type
of thing. Quite frankly, that didn't occur to me. Glad to know
better now.

Sure enough, in all the fine print, at the very bottom it has en entry
that says:
"Clean-Up: For easy clean-up use mineral spirits or paint thinner."
Glad you guys are telling me that means the same for cleaning the
brushes themselves, too! g I don't have either so I'll have to go
and buy some.

Get the mineral spirits. It costs a little more, but smells better and
seems to work better. Many paint thinners start with a mineral spirits
base, but add some stuff to make it smell worse (it goes from bad to
absolutely awful) and make it cheaper.

Oh, good, thanks. I wouldn't have known which to go with but based on
smell alone, I'd have to say that I will most probably agree. And
despite costs, I'm sure they have different sizes so I probably will
be able to buy the quantity I need for this one-time job without
having a ton left over.

Avoid the environmental stuff. Ironically, it's probably actually worse
for the environement!

Really? That's very odd. You'd think that something ecofriendly
wouldn't then be able to wear the label if that was the case. sigh
Oh, well. Will do. Will stick with the mineral spirits.

thx

*snip*

Puckdropper