Posted to rec.woodworking
FairFax FairFax is offline

Default How to clean plastic-bristled brush used for applying polyurethane? (Ecofriendly process preferred ...)

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 09:03:37 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Jun 3, 7:55*am, "Mike Marlow" wrote:

The best recommendation is to follow the instructions on the can. *Clean
with mineral spirits.

In my best Three Stooges voice: "Oh, wiseguy eh?"

Read the instructions. Shame on you. ;^)

Robert

lol Thanks! This is the very first time I'm going to do this type
of thing. Quite frankly, that didn't occur to me. Glad to know
better now.

Sure enough, in all the fine print, at the very bottom it has en entry
that says:
"Clean-Up: For easy clean-up use mineral spirits or paint thinner."
Glad you guys are telling me that means the same for cleaning the
brushes themselves, too! g I don't have either so I'll have to go
and buy some.

I got a set of brushes on sale but have delayed starting this job due
to not knowing re cleaning them afterwards. Though dad was pretty
good having me hang around his workbench when I was growing up, he
didn't like me interrupting him and such; he was always pressed for
time, too to finish his projects. I've wondered lately if things
would have been different if I'd been a boy g.

Thanks once again! Live and learn.