Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Painting Question

On 6/2/2011 4:24 PM, chaniarts wrote:
Bob wrote:
Hi,

Had to open up a hole in our Kitchen ceiling to reach some plujmbing.
Will have it re-plastered soon.

Will bring a paint sample to local Paint Store so that they can match
the ceiling color, which is an off white.
Not sure abosut what the sheen or gloss would be called.

Am hoping that with "matched" paint, I can get away with just
re-painting the patch,
rather than the complete ceiling.

Question: to give me the best chance of blending it in well, should I
use a decent quality brush, one of those really cheap rubber foam
types of brush, or a roller ?
Why ?

If a roller, what kind of knap, etc. ?

Thanks,
Bob

i'd use a foam roller. use a very dry roller on the edges to feather it out.

if the ceiling was painted before, ideally you'd want to use whatever was
used previously. on new construction that was sprayed, you'd probably have
to do the whole ceiling.

I second the foam roller/feathering suggestion. It is rare that the
color AND gloss will match. I'd be sure to use two coats of primer .
feathered out well...and then paint. Unless you have a huge kitchen,
you might be happier just painting the whole ceiling. If patching, I'd
also try to get a slight more gloss...can always scrub it with fine
steel wool (when well cured) to dull it if it is too glossy.