Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default leading

On Jun 2, 6:26*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"john B." wrote in message

On Thu, 2 Jun 2011 08:39:01 -0500, "David Courtney"
wrote:

"john B." wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 12:28:26 -0500, "David Courtney"
wrote:

"john B." wrote in message
m...
On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 11:05:43 +0000 (UTC), xpzzzz wrote:

On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 16:33:43 +0700, john B. wrote:

I'm in the process of rebuilding a bicycle frame and am left with
some
minor dings and scratches which I want to fill and fair. The tubes
are
rather remarkably thin and I really do not want to use a file to
clean
them up. *My idea is to use lead solder as a filler and my problem
is
that I have no idea what to use for flux.

The reason for using a metal filler is that the frame will
eventually
be
powder coated and the preparation used here is a good glass bead
blasting and I don't think that conventional painting fillers would
stand that, or the high temperature baking.

* *Use LabMetal:
http://www.alvinproducts.com/Products/Products.asp?ID=1

My powder coating guys tell me that they cure at around 200 degrees(C)
minimum.

* *And Lab-Metal will handle 425F (218C) for up to 20 minutes... so,
again,
use Lab-Metal.

The problem is that I doubt that I can find any here and shipping plus
customs duties, etc., make the cost rather shocking :-)

There is a very wide variety of solders used in industry that have melting
points ranging from 250 C to 450 C This is the best list I've seen.
Considering the small quantity you need, maybe you can get some from a local
electronics assembly plant or something:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solder

--
Ed Huntress-

There's also this magic Indium/Lead/tin stuff from http://www.chipquik.com
that, lowers the melting point of regular 63/37 solder to 150C. This
stuff is great for reworking large surface mounted chips - makes it a
whole lot easier to get them off the board without doing damage.

But it surely isn't cheap. And what kind of temperatures do you need
for powder coating? Maybe this stuff melts at too low a temperature.