Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ralph[_12_] Ralph[_12_] is offline

Default dry out oil

On 6/2/2011 8:02 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 17:11:16 -0700,
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

The one I installed had a ~1 quart glass filter chamber with a
radiator type drain valve on the bottom. You could see the water
collect in the clear chamber and just opened the valve to release it.
Fuel went into the chamber, water dropped out (immiscible), and a fine
filter above it sent dry fuel to the engine. Similar to this
http://goo.gl/8mJWE I think his was about $100.

Cool! Thanks.

Sounds like the perfect thing to put at the bottom of
the hydraulic system on Karl's tractor. Opening the
valve every 100 miles has got to be less trouble than
draining and heating the oil.

--Winston

I "think" Goldenrod makes a filter that would do the job - but it
would need to be on the return side of the system.

Another possibility is a separate circulating pump running "bypass"
to filter/dry the oil continuously.

Our church had flood water get into the elevator hyd oil. The elevator
service co. replaced the oil and put a water filter unit on it for over
60 days. It did NOT remove enough water to talk about. It was a big unit
with a motor,pump and (2 filters that cost us over $200.00 each). The
oil still looks like milk and I can drain a 1/4 cup of pure water out of
the bottom of the reservoir.