Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting Question

On Jun 2, 2:45*pm, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Had to open up a hole in our Kitchen ceiling to reach some plujmbing.
Will have it re-plastered soon.

Will bring a paint sample to local Paint Store so that they can match
the ceiling color, which is an off white.
Not sure abosut what the sheen or gloss would be called.

Am hoping that with "matched" paint, I can get away with just
re-painting the patch,
rather than the complete ceiling.

Question: *to give me the best chance of blending it in well, should I
use a decent quality brush, one of those really cheap rubber foam types
of brush, or a roller ?
Why ?

If a roller, what kind of knap, etc. ?

Thanks,
Bob

gloss is shiny, flat is flat, semi-gloss is in between. Plan on at
least two coats on the patched area, maybe even more if there are a
lot of coats on the rest of the ceiling. The length of nap on the
roller will depend on the stipple on the rest of the ceiling. Longer
rollers give more of a stipple effect, short nap rollers gove a
smoother finish. If you have an actual sample of the ceiling, a
knowledgeable paint person can suggest what nap to use to come close
to matching the rest of the ceiing. Myself, I would paint the patch
and then give the entire ceiling a coat.