Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default dry out oil

On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 11:01:51 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 21:46:43 -0700,
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
I had to dump the trans-hydraulic oil out of a tractor today. Its
contaminated with water. I've always just replaced it before, but the
price of oil has went nuts. And I'm a bit short right now.

I'm wondering about putting it in a metal bucket on a hot plate out in
the field. If you heat it to say 200, will it drive the water off?

Is there a filter you can use to continuously clear water from
the hydraulic oil onboard the tractor, Karl?

I installed a diesel fuel/water separator on my boss' tow truck a
couple decades ago. Maybe one is available for hydraulic fluid.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.
How do those work? Does the water get trapped in the filter
and you open a valve occasionally to let it out of the system?

The one I installed had a ~1 quart glass filter chamber with a
radiator type drain valve on the bottom. You could see the water
collect in the clear chamber and just opened the valve to release it.
Fuel went into the chamber, water dropped out (immiscible), and a fine
filter above it sent dry fuel to the engine. Similar to this
http://goo.gl/8mJWE I think his was about $100.

--
Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.