Posted to rec.woodworking
Just Wondering Just Wondering is offline

Default Nuclear Reactor Problems

On 6/2/2011 5:59 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 6/2/2011 2:30 AM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 6/1/2011 4:46 PM, Swingman wrote:

I listen to "Democracy Now" on the local Pacific radio daily,
simply as
a constant reminder as to just how much these people who produce it
hate
the thought of a successful democracy ... it is exactly the same
mindset
with regard to nuclear energy.

In the entire history of the world, has there ever been a single
instance of a successful democracy?

If you equate success with longevity, the jury is still out. (and this
one won't last much longer at the current rate)

I think you miss my point.

Nope, you missed mine and took off down a rabbit trail ...

Then let's go back to your original point. You referred to people who
"hate the thought of a successful democracy." A true democracy (as
distinguished from a representative government" is a government where
the people rule directly by majority vote. There is no form of
government that has more potential for tyrannical rule over a minority
population. Count me in as one who hates such a prospect. Fortunately,
there is no true democracy in existence today. I much prefer the form
of representative republican government established by the U.S.
Constitution. I'll take that over democracy any day.

Your original point then compared people who hate the thought of
democracy to those who hate the thought of nuclear energy. I disagree.
Those who hate the thought of nuclear energy are frightened by
something they don't understand. Those who hate the thought of a true
democracy are frightened by something they understand perfectly well.
The two groups do not have the same mindset at all.