Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default dry out oil

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 21:46:43 -0700,
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
I had to dump the trans-hydraulic oil out of a tractor today. Its
contaminated with water. I've always just replaced it before, but the
price of oil has went nuts. And I'm a bit short right now.

I'm wondering about putting it in a metal bucket on a hot plate out in
the field. If you heat it to say 200, will it drive the water off?

Is there a filter you can use to continuously clear water from
the hydraulic oil onboard the tractor, Karl?

I installed a diesel fuel/water separator on my boss' tow truck a
couple decades ago. Maybe one is available for hydraulic fluid.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.
How do those work? Does the water get trapped in the filter
and you open a valve occasionally to let it out of the system?

--Winston