Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default Best way of re-plastering a re-opened fire place?

mike wrote:

The plan is to install a woodburner. The semi-detached neighbours
reopened their mirror-image fireplace last year and the sweep told
them the chimney was sufficiently sound that it didn't need lining.
I'd like to think this was the case with ours but, having hacked the
plaster off (not much hacking involved) and seen the pointing, I find
this hard to believe. Does fitting a liner these days involve
scaffolding over the house rather than just using a roof ladder?

Not necessarily. Our guy did mine without - but that was a bungalow with
flat dormer access.

--
Tim Watts