Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
Man-wai Chang Man-wai Chang is offline

Default Fuse: fast blown vs slow blown

Meters like the Flukes are "Category" rated - 1, 2, 3. When working on
high capacity services, like 1000A 480V, you really want a cat 1
meter. You won't wind up wearing it as in your previous post. The
problem is not just the meter. Arc in meter causes vaporized meter
leads that turns into an arc between busbars - very dangerous.

The physics books I read did NOT talk about this danger. So were all the
physics teachers that taught me. Maybe I fell asleep when they talked
about this. In short, the "art" of choosing the right multimeter for the
right job was not covered by the physics course material of my school time.

It's really lucky that I was never hurt so far when playg with hobby
circuits...

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!