Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Hays Paul Hays is offline

Default leading

On Jun 1, 2:33*am, john B. wrote:
I'm in the process of rebuilding a bicycle frame and am left with some
minor dings and scratches which I want to fill and fair. The tubes are
rather remarkably thin and I really do not want to use a file to clean
them up. *My idea is to use lead solder as a filler and my problem is
that I have no idea what to use for flux.

The reason for using a metal filler is that the frame will eventually
be powder coated and the preparation used here is a good glass bead
blasting and I don't think that conventional painting fillers would
stand that, or the high temperature baking.

I do remember my uncle having a bottle of some sort of acid with zinc
(I think) strips in it that he used for flux but other then that I
don't have a clue.

Anyone help?
Cheers,

John B.

Filling the dents with solder seems like a lot of work for what will
be a cosmetic repair. There are sand-able fillers for use beneath
powdercoat, as described at this thread: http://www.finishing.com/91/67.shtml