Posted to uk.d-i-y
Invisible Man[_2_] Invisible Man[_2_] is offline

Default Time for a new microwave - any views?

On 02/06/2011 13:07, Tim Streater wrote:
In article
,
matthelliwell wrote:

On Jun 1, 5:08 pm, "DerbyBoy" No-one wrote:
Old Comet Matsui oven is dying due to some of the plastic parts

starting to
fail (due to wife opening and closing to door too frequently - the

button
now shoots across the room when the door is closed).

What are the views - is a grill element worth having? Does it have

any real
use after the initial "let's try it" phase

Never use the grill on mine, make of that what you will. However I do
wish I'd forked out for a more powerful microwave. I mainly use it for
(re)heating stuff so I should've bought an 1100W model like we have at
work rather than the tiddly 750W model I actually bought.

1) I wish we'd got or been able to get one with a handle rather than a
large button for opening the door.

2) Important - if you see a model you like in say Comet, then ask to see
it plugged in and on (not microwaving, just on). The reason is that ours
looks OK, but the display panel is poorly designed and is not really
legible unless you bend your head down to the same level as the
microwave. Didn't see that until we got it home (should have returned it
really).

I find the grill handy to use with the microwave for baking potatoes and
for anything that is supposed to have a dry or browned top. Just gives a
bit of texture. Rarely used cos my other half is a really good cook and
most is done from fresh.