Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine Frank Erskine is offline

Default Time for a new microwave - any views?

On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 20:39:16 +0100, "DerbyBoy" No-one
wrote:

"John Williamson" wrote in message ...

DerbyBoy wrote:
Old Comet Matsui oven is dying due to some of the plastic parts starting
to fail (due to wife opening and closing to door too frequently - the
button now shoots across the room when the door is closed).

What are the views - is a grill element worth having? Does it have any
real use after the initial "let's try it" phase

It depends if you've got an easily reached grill on your cooker, IMO.

Using the microwave grill for meat can spatter fat all over the inside,
and onto the element so it'll then need cleaning the way a normal oven
does, though the grease won't be set so hard. I use mine mostly for
cheese on toast, as I can't easily reach the cooker grill.

I've seen some recipes that use the grill to colour the food, and the
microwave bit to cook it, though it's too much of a faff for me.

How quickly do these "microwave oven" grills take to heat up? I have a
Bosch (electric) double oven - the upper (smaller) oven can act as a
grill but it takes quite a few minutes to heat up properly, whereas
ISTR from my mum's gas cooker the grill would be virtually instant,
for such snacks as cheese on toast :-)

I'm considering replacing my white Panasonic "normal" microwave oven,
mainly to get a SS-cased one to match most of the other kitchen
gadgets.

I can then mount the old one on a rotator atop of a pole with the door
interlocks shorted out and use it as part of a 2·45 Gc/s radio link
(with a carbon microphone in the mains supply) ... ;-)

--
Frank Erskine