Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing Hot Air Heating

In article ,
harry writes:
On May 30, 12:49*am, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Endulini wrote:
Hi All,

A flat that I've been looking at with a view to purchasing is heated by
an old hot air blower system. I'm not familiar with these systems but
they don't strike me as very efficient are they straight forward to
replace or are there likely to be some lurking issues (I appreciate that
it will obviously *depend on the actual system but in principle might
there be some problems)?

Cheers

they are in fact very efficient. But if run on leccy, not necessarily cheap.

Or are these hot water fan blown convectors?

All electric heating is 100% efficient by default.

Since it is struggling to reach even 40% efficient when it
gets to you, that would be difficult. That's partly why it's
more expensive than gas.

If it's gas it may
well be in poor or even dangerous condition. The heat exchangers can
perforate allowing combustion products into the rooms.
Best got rid of.

I rented a house with a J&S warm air system many years ago, and I
quite liked it. Very quick warm up from a standing start. However,
it would be a disaster if anyone smokes, and it caused dryness
which one of the other occupiers claimed caused problems with
contact lenses.

I believe they do drop-in modern replacements for older systems,
if you do consider keeping the infrastructure.

--
Andrew Gabriel